we discovered the joy of barbequed bananas a number of years ago: I don’t remember what induced me to try it, but we had a hot grill from some kind of post-flesh-conflagration, a bunch of ripe-ish bananas and I love deep fried bananas so I thought “eh, what the heck”.
delicious. if you’ve never tried, do. stick whole (unpeeled) on still hot (not screaming) but cooling grill. works fine for oven baking at 350F for about 20 minutes (or until oozing & soft – might want to stick them in a pan, I use cast iron). must use ripe bananas; kind of disappointing otherwise.
so this week’s findin’ fridays post is related, sort of.
another “what’s that?” from K at the grocery store, and at $0.88 per pound, I figured, “eh, what the heck” and repeated experiment above with plantains (again, post-flesh-conflagration success, this time on the Cobb).
additional notes: also successful oven baked whole at 350F for around 20 minutes, but divine with maple syrup mashed into the scooped-out flesh. ice cream would be great, too (alas, none here, egg allergy).
turns out there are a lot of savoury options, too. check out the links for some other plantain ideas (hmmm…)
- Chocolatey Grilled Plantains (alrightalready.net)
- Sweet Caremelized Plantains (salixisme.wordpress.com)
- Podimas (with green plantains) (strawberrylentils.com)
- Cinnamon Plantain “Chips” (wholefoodrunner.wordpress.com)
- Black Bean Salsa & Plantain Chips (globalveg.com)
- Recipe Beef-filled ripe Plantains/Canoas (3citygirlsnyc.wordpress.com)
- Plantain Casserole (healthierspiritbeachbody.wordpress.com)