at least 70% sugar by volume in our apple syrup, infused with 1:5 fresh wild mint, over double boiler for about two days. result = mintified apple syrup. now what?
we’ll be celebrating with an almost all home-grown (our blueberries aren’t ready yet, these are store bought) & foraged berry sourdough pandowdy. salmon berries, sweet & sour cherries, black raspberries, & strawberries from our little plot ‘o land. this time I macerated the fruit with a little sugar & cointreau. yumm.
everyone raves about duck. whole duck. we usually portion our birds, but I thought, “eh, what the heck”. the beer braised muscovy recipe on this site (scroll down or ctrl + F once you’re there to find it) intrigued me … we have a “smoky” beer that we brewed (a little heavy handed on the carmelization of the malt, heh, heh) which worked out deliciously. I got a little carried away with the dried fruit, so it was a bit overpoweringly sweet.
but I’d still rather portion our birds. look at all the goodies we get out of duck day vs. whole ducks that each result in a meal or two for a family.
- Roast Duck Recipe (kissmyingredients.com)
- Confit de Canard aux lentilles de Puy (dinnerwiththesmiths.wordpress.com)
- Duck Confit with Spicy Pickled Raisins (thebittenword.com)
- Recipe: Chinese Ginger Duck (ignoringsoundadvice.wordpress.com)
- Roasted Duck Fat Potatoes (thedomesticman.com)
- if it looks like a duck prosciutto… (classicmarineiguana.wordpress.com)
and we’ve now got a fresh crop of stinging nettles off the plants I’d harvested in spring (again, who knew?), along with cabbages sitting awaiting harvest in the garden… another batch to make!
- How the Herbal Nettles Can Help You Cure Intestinal Weakness, Diarrhea, and Malnutrition (completeherbalguide.com)
- Wild Green Recipes: Stinging Nettle Pizza (sierraclub.typepad.com)
- Nettle Eating (misterdavid.typepad.com)
- Meet the wild veg forager: ‘I’m a hunter, except I track down plants not animals’ | Meet the producer (theguardian.com)
we’ve been blessed by an embarrassment of riches this summer: free ducks, free Berkshire boars, all for the taking, we just have to do the work. well, yup, lots of work. last Saturday & this Saturday are “boar days”. last week’s boy was over 700 lbs. wow. and we’re happy to share: a number of friends have participated & received meat, or have shared dinners with us. why not? what on earth are we going to do with (possibly) 2000 lbs of pig?